Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ingoodcompany.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

March 11, 2010

Input Needed: What was surprising?






















As you know we are thrilled about our new book deal! And oh joy - the interviewing, writing & research has begun!

A big part of our book will be including stories, experiences, anecdotes & tips from women entrepreneurs and all of you! We will be posing weekly questions to help us with our writing and brainstorming.

Sometimes we will be soliciting a tip and other times a reflection on your own experience.

First up…

We’d love to know what you have found most surprising about your experience as an entrepreneur!

Unexpected?

Challenging?

We’d prefer if you reply in the comments because it makes the conversation richer and I think you’ll see that you’re not the only one with the same insights or challenges! If you’d feel more comfortable sending me an email, you can do that too. Adelaide@

image courtesy of poppopportraits

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

There were probably two, intertwined surprises for me in entrepreneurship. The first was how lonely it can be. Granted, I see customers all day long, but beyond that, I work alone, I make the decisions for my business alone, and I alone am responsible for its successes and failures.

The second surprise for me was figuring out how badly I really needed other small business owners, particularly women who also owned their own small, independent retail shop. I've always been sort of a loner, which was part of the reason I felt being my own boss would be fantastic. But I've come to realize that I really need a few strong, smart women who understand the challenges and the triumphs I face. Not only has the small group of us shared customers, contacts, and business advice, but we use each other as sounding boards, stress relief -which often involves a lot of laughter, and for personal support as well. Without them, I know I'd be a lot less business savvy and a lot more lonely!

In Good Company WorkPlaces said...

Great points, Jennifer!!
I couldn't agree or relate more to both of them.

Customers are great but they don't suffice for peers. And yes, the value of peers cannot be underestimated. There is a real opportunity cost to isolation!

thanks for posting.

Tammy Brackett said...

I look forward to being a part of this fascinating conversation. Reading the posts has given me a big smile on my face this morning.
My solo entrepreneur life is sometimes a bit lonely! I live and work far from family and because I work A LOT, I don't have time to make friends. This forum will be a lovely way to connect and talk. Thank you!

In Good Company WorkPlaces said...

We're so glad to have you join the conversation, Tammy!

Michelle Tillis Lederman said...

Flexibility or lack thereof was incredibly surprising. I always thought that when you work for yourself you can set your schedule and take a day off when you wanted one. I find the lifestyle far less flexible than working for someone else when i could leave the job at the office. now my office is in my home and I feel like I never escape it. There is always something i could or should be doing.