Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ingoodcompany.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

April 9, 2009

TMI: Sharing as a Mom Business Owner

In the last Mom/Business Owner Affinity Group we discussed how much information is too much information when you run your own business and have family responsibilities. While this discussion was a long overdue, it was well received as there seems to be blurred boundaries on what is appropriate.

As a mother and a business owner, I have found it odd when a woman who I do not know well at all has scheduled an appointment only to tell me at the last minute that she cannot find a babysitter and she cannot make it. I completely understand this predicament; however, sometimes I find it strange that the information is shared. From my perspective, she needs to cancel or reschedule the meeting but to me the reason is irrelevant. She is a professional and I give her the benefit of the doubt that she makes decisions that work for her and her business.

I know, STICKY subject! I am sure for some of you, the hair on your neck just raised.

Our final group conclusion was that you really need to do what works best for you, but, we also identified a few things to think about:

* When might you benefit from sharing personal information, for example, perhaps the person you are speaking with was a sports nut and would be really interested to know that you coach your kid’s soccer team

* When might it be detrimental to share too much personal information? Could you alienate someone? Make them feel uncomfortable? Put yourself at a disadvantage?

* When might sharing personal information strengthen a professional relationship?

Is less more?

My own perspective is that you do not need to apologize for having a family and a business. Rely on the fact that you make the best decisions you can based on your priorities and just set realistic expectations for your clients, customers and yourself!


posted by Amy

No comments: